Australia Awards Indonesia Scholars develop lifelong connections to UQ

27 September 2024

UQ’s Sponsored Students Unit Senior Coordinator (Acting) Miho Hamada recently travelled to Indonesia’s Seminyak to meet with 140 Australia Awards Scholars selected to study in Australia, commencing January 2025.

A group of Australia Awards scholars and alumni stand with Miho Hamada under the banner for the Australia Awards Scholarships University Information Day, 16 September 2024.
A group of Australia Awards provisional Scholars with UQ's Nadia Sarah, Fitria Arsianti and Miho Hamada standing under the banner for the Australia Awards Scholarships University Information Day, Seminyak, 16 September 2024. Image: supplied.

This Australia Awards (AA) University Information Day on 16 September saw provisional scholars meet with 24 Australian universities, where information was provided about topics ranging from accommodation to details about preferred study programs, all of which assists the choice of institution.

“Australia Awards Scholarships are very prestigious and the selection process competitive,” Miho said.

“As such, recipients from Indonesia are generally high achieving academically. After their studies, they return home to contribute their new skills to development of their country. Australia Awards roadshows allow UQ to recruit quality students and support the needs of their countries.”

Sponsored Students offer support and access to resources to AA Scholars, and Miho’s attendance in Seminyak marks the beginning of a supportive relationship with Indonesian Scholars who choose UQ. It is a connection that is often ongoing.

“When the AA Scholars arrive in Brisbane to begin their studies, we run a 4-week mandatory academic preparation program in conjunction with UQ’s Student Services teams,” Miho said.

“Their programs at UQ are over a period of 1.5 to 2 years (for master’s degrees), with longer for PhDs, and we build strong connections over that time. Then, as they graduate and go home, we invite them to UQ-hosted events in Indonesia. These are some of the many points of connection throughout the scholarship cycle."

“From the point of recruitment, even after and beyond graduation, UQ keeps in touch.”

Given the achievements which see them selected as AA Scholars, UQ Indonesian alumni have made notable contributions to their organisations, creating important change after they return home with their new skills.

Desi Utami standing in St Lucia's Great Court during her UQ PhD studies.
UQ Australia Awards alum (Indonesia) Desi Utami stands in the Great Court at UQ's St Lucia campus during her PhD studies in Brisbane. Image: supplied.

The knowledge gained by recent AA Indonesia alum Desi Utami has been transformational. She gained her PhD at UQ’s School of Agriculture and Food Sustainability and returned in December 2023 to her home institution, Gadjah Mada Universitas (UGM), where she is an academic. As a result of her study at UQ, a joint research project between UQ and UGM is underway.

“I survived and thrived under Australia Awards’ support,” Desi said.

“Studying 5,000 kms away from family with a 2-year-old child was another level of challenge, but my son had the benefit of attending early education, which was positive for his personal development, while I could study peacefully in my laboratory.”

“I learnt a lot about academic writing and presenting my research. I have published 4 papers (with 3 to come) and won 3 different Three Minute Thesis competitions. I presented at and attended conferences in France, Indonesia, Brisbane, Adelaide, and Canberra.”

“At UQ I gained academic communication skills, with free courses available to build our capacity, not only in academic ways, but in other areas. With this life changing experience, I am no longer the same person I was 4 years ago. I have brought networking, partnerships and knowledge home, to address some of the problems in my country and, hopefully, globally," Desi said.

Equally passionate about her subject area is current UQ Master of Conservation Science Indonesian AA Awards Scholar Maria Panggur. She has spent nearly a decade as a park ranger at Komodo National Park, one of Indonesia’s renowned conservation areas.

“I’m incredibly grateful for the opportunity to study in one of the world’s top conservation programs,” Maria said.

“The new knowledge and skills perfectly complement my experience in real-world conservation issues. I believe the knowledge, skills, and connections I’m gaining here will empower me to make an even greater impact when I return to Indonesia."

Maria Panggur’s role as a park ranger involves conducting biodiversity monitoring of the Komodo dragons and their habitat.

Maria Panggur standing at the Komodo National Park with a komodo dragon behind her.
Current Indonesian AA Scholar and Master of Conservation Science student Maria Panggur at the Komodo National Park, where she has worked as a park ranger, with a komodo dragon. Image: supplied

“I engage in conservation outreach to raise awareness among the younger generation in Labuan Bajo,” Maria said.

“I’m responsible for collaborating with stakeholders, representing Komodo National Park in discussions and partnerships nationally and internationally,” Maria said.

Miho’s support at Sponsored Students provides Indonesian AA Scholars such as Maria and Desi a conduit to advisors in any area they need, from academic to personal.  

“I try to meet with the AA Scholars at least once a month. Indonesian students are very tech-savvy, so I operate a Teams chat, an open conversation which allows them to pop in with questions any time. It’s important that we maintain a good connection so there’s no hesitancy to talk with me about any issues that arise.”

She has also observed that Indonesian scholars enjoy support from the broader community.

“One of the questions they have is, ‘What's the community?’ At UQ, students support each other. I always mention too the very well-established (UQISA),” Miho said.

Sponsored Students support over 20,000 international students who hail from more than 120 countries. Indonesia offers the highest number of scholarships, with 2 UQ staff based in Jakarta to facilitate access to UQ.

“Each country has different priority areas. For Indonesia these are health security, stability and economic recovery. UQ’s role in building skills to assist development in these areas create connections, between individuals, institutions and our 2 countries,” Miho said.

UQISA will host an event on Friday 4 October to celebrate UQ Indo Day, with activities including Indonesian traditional dance, music, poetry, discussions of issues facing Indonesia, and culminating in a karaoke night. 

The event is hosted by the UQ Indonesian Student Association (UQISA) in collaboration with Indonesian sponsored students from Australia Awards, PT Perusahaan Listrik Negara (PLN) and Indonesia Endowment Fund for Education (LPDP).

Learn more 

A poster for the 4 November event being run by UQISA