My experience at UQ taught me to be more open-minded, empathetic, and resourceful

The moment I stepped into Australia, I knew my life would never be the same. The multi-cultural lifestyle allowed me to meet many amazing friends who shared inspiring stories about their culture, travel experiences, and solutions to personal and national challenges, among others.

Atop Mount Wellington (Tasmania)

These experiences have taught me to become more open-minded, empathetic, and resourceful.

Also, as I had more time to re-evaluate my lifestyle, I felt better about my diet, exercise, and social life. I was also able to explore many places in Australia, and two of my favourites are the Great Barrier Reef and Mount Wellington in Tasmania!

The courses I undertook greatly inspired me to live my life and view challenges from a whole new perspective.

Snorkling in the Great Barrier Reef

I acquired many new skills from various subjects, and it was quite exhilarating realising that I will be able to use them in context soon and later in life.

One of my professors, Dr Robyn Gillies, showed me great compassion when she was supervising my research project to identify and address the challenges of Cambodian teachers’ professional development.

No words can describe how thankful I am that the Australia Award Scholarship chose me to be a part of the awardee team and provided me with all the financial, emotional, and academic support requisite for a successful journey in Australia.

It was one of the most interesting 18 months of my life.

Me giving the peace sign with friends at St Lucia campus

10 September 2020